The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) is the largest global group actively standing up to torture and other ill-treatment in more than 90 countries. It works with 200 member organisations, which constitute its SOS-Torture Network, to end torture and ill- treatment, provide direct assistance to victims, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide. Its headquarters are based in Geneva, with offices in Brussels and Tunis.
The OMCT is looking for a dynamic Communications and Events Management Intern, full or part time, for a duration of 4-6 months starting in February 2021, to assist its small and highly motivated Communications team. The position is based in Geneva.
The Digital Communications Intern will assist with a variety of communications tasks across a range of channels. S/he will report to the Director of Communications and work closely with the Digital Communications and Campaigns Officer to raise the profile of the OMCT as well as that of its 200-member global SOS-Torture Network.
The Digital Communications Intern will also assist with the planning and convening of a global, innovative anti-torture week on the occasion of OMCT’s General Assembly, an important event that occurs every four years and will take place virtually due to the pandemic.
- Support planning, producing and tracking of internal and external communications materials and campaigns
- Day-to-day assistance with content creation for social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and the website
- Update the website with approved content in French/English/Spanish
- Assist with the development of targeted media lists
- Compile data and prepare bimonthly digital communications and media visibility newsletter
- Assist the communications team in the organisation of internal communications tools and database
- Assist in the planning and the running of the March 2021 General Assembly organised as a global online anti-torture week
- Assist with the preparation of news conferences and media outreach for the launch of reports
- Must be currently enrolled in full or part-time studies (communications, international relations, events management, or other related field)
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Ability to grasp ideas quickly, propose solutions as well as work on projects autonomously
- Motivation to learn
- Strong writing and editing skills in English and French; Spanish or Russian an asset
- Digitally savvy, with knowledge of CMS
- Interest in international relations and human rights
- Capacity to work in a fast-paced and intense environment
Remuneration: 500 CHF per month
Start date: February 2020
End date: June or August 2021, depending on intern’s availability
Vacation: pro rata on a basis of 20 days per 12 months, and Geneva official holidays
To apply, please send a copy of your CV, cover letter and two examples of your writing or communications work to email@example.com by Tuesday 2 February 2021. The subject line should mention Communications and Events Management Intern.