OMCT Europe Regional Programme Coordinator (Maternity Cover)
The OMCT Europe is currently seeking to recruit a Programme Coordinator to work on its Eastern Europe and Central Asia programme for maternity leave cover.
The OMCT Europe is an affiliate organisation of the World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) supporting its goals and objectives in Europe, Turkey and Central Asia as well as before the European institutions. The OMCT works with around 200 member organisations which constitute its SOS-Torture Network, to end torture, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide. Together, we make up the largest global group actively standing up to torture. Helping local voices be heard, we support our vital partners in the field and provide direct assistance to victims. The OMCT’s international secretariat is based in Geneva, with offices in Brussels and Tunis.
Location: Location in the OMCT Europe offices in Brussels (Belgium) is preferred.
Conditions: Full-time position, will require international travel. The current contract is maternity leave cover and is limited to 8 months.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Head of the OMCT Europe office, and in close coordination with the Directors of the OMCT Convention Against Torture and OMCT Human Rights Defenders Programmes. Responsibilities of the position include:
- Ensure the overall coordination and management of the Regional Programme on Eastern Europe and Central Asia and its team in close collaboration with the Head of the OMCT Europe;
- Support civil society organisations (CSOs), in particular SOS-Torture Network members, in their engagement with UN bodies and procedures, including the UNCAT, the Human Rights Committee, the Human Rights Council, the Universal Periodic Review, and the special procedure mandate-holders, as well as the European Union, Council of Europe and the OSCE institutions, including through the drafting or editing of reports, statements, and submissions;
- Actively maintain relations and respond to requests from SOS-Torture Network members and domestic anti-torture CSOs or coalitions from Eastern Europe and Central Asia calling on the OMCT’s intervention or assistance with regards to case and thematic advocacy and legal support in areas relevant to the OMCT’s mandate (e.g., through press releases, letters to authorities, briefing papers, legal opinions);
- Facilitating the collective mobilisation of the OMCT's SOS-Torture Network in the region including on detention and litigation;
- Design, plan, organise and carry out fact-finding and advocacy missions, roundtables, capacity building activities, in coordination with the OMCT’s network members and other local partners;
- Represent the OMCT at national and international forums;
- Contributing to the effective reporting and administration of the Programme including by drafting donor and activity reports.
Activities of the Regional Programme include the following specific engagements with other OMCT thematic programmes:
- OMCT’s Anti-torture Programme
- Implement the OMCT’s Anti-Torture Programme in relation to Eastern Europe and Central Asia, including shadow reporting to the UN Committee Against Torture (UNCAT), advocacy and follow-up activities.
- Support the Director of the OMCT’s Anti-torture Programme in organising, coordinating, and moderating NGO briefings before the UNCAT.
- Contribute to the development and subsequently the implementation of the activities of the OMCT Litigators’ Group in Europe and Central Asia.
- OMCT’s HRDs Programme
- Coordinating & implementing advocacy actions on human rights defenders’ protection in Eurasia with a focus on Eastern Europe, Turkey and Central Asia.
- Contribute to the protection of human rights defenders in the region, in close coordination with the SOS-Torture network.
- Advanced university degree, preferably a post-graduate degree in human rights or international law.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in the human rights field at the national and international levels, including with human rights organizations. Work experience on Turkey, Eastern Europe and Central Asia is an asset.
- Excellent oral and written language skills in both English and Russian. Fluency in other regional languages would be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of international human rights law and demonstrated knowledge of the universal and/or regional mechanisms for the protection of human rights.
- Excellent and practical experience in human rights advocacy, program and project management and development.
- Excellent drafting and editing skills.
- Ability to work under pressure to deadlines and to adapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a multicultural team.
The OMCT Europe is an equal opportunities employer. The OMCT offers competitive salaries for Human Rights NGOs in Brussels with a minimum of 20 days holidays per year, usual social benefits including meal vouchers, and the possibility for part-time working from home.
For consideration, please send a cover letter, a résumé and the contact details of two professional references, indicating “OMCT EUROPE Regional Programme Coordinator” as your message subject to OMCT at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 25, 2023.
For more information about the OMCT and OMCT Europe, please visit our website: www.omct.org