The World Organisation Against Torture is seeking to contract an experienced communications consultant with strong communication skills and deep media resources, to support the OMCT communications team during an extended recruitment process for a new Director of Communications. The Consultancy is expected to begin ideally by mid-September 2023 for an initial period of three months.
The Consultancy must be filled as soon as possible, and therefore recruitment/contracting will begin as soon as consultancy bids are received. Consultancies with competitive bids will be invited for an interview and would hopefully be able to begin already by 15 September 2023.
The OMCT Secretariat and Communications Team is based in Geneva, Switzerland; strong preference will be given for consultancy professionals based in or near Geneva.
ABOUT THE OMCT
The OMCT works with around 200 member organisations which constitute its SOS-Torture Network, to end torture, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide. Together, we make up the largest global group actively standing up to torture in more than 90 countries. Helping local voices be heard, we support our vital partners in the field and provide direct assistance to victims. Our international secretariat is based in Geneva, with offices in Brussels and Tunis.
ROLE, RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
The Consultant will support and provide advice to a small but dynamic communications team in OMCT’s three offices in Geneva, Brussels, and Tunis. Under the supervision of the Digital Communications and Campaigns Manager, the Communications Consultant/s will work closely with all thematic and regional programmes and liaise with the fundraising team at the OMCT. Key responsibilities of the position include:
Role & Responsibilities:
- Media relations lead: Serving as a focal point for the media, and taking care of media relations (contacting journalists, issuing press releases and organising press conferences, maintaining a contact list of journalists interested in the OMCT’s work etc.);
- Media relations focuses: OMCT work at UN Human Rights Council sessions (September 2023), and UN Committee Against Torture Session (November 2023);
- Support OMCTs digital communications staff with tracking visibility on media and social media and growing presence on the website, newsletters, blogposts, podcasts, etc.;
- Communications lead representing OMCT in the United Against Torture Consortium (coordinating Consortium Statements, participating in Consortium Communications Group Meetings, etc.)
- Organisation and implementation of at least 2 communications trainings for communicators from the SOS-Torture Network (required deliverable by donor)
- Production and refinement of OMCT Communications products: drafting and editing of statements and messaging in particular for report launches and campaigns.
- Production of statements and messaging materials supporting OMCT Programme Teams and Network Members on launches of new global initiatives and country reports.
- Support in creation of “quizzes on torture” for social media stories (required deliverable by donor).
- Other OMCT Communications products (to be agreed and determined during consultancy).
CONSULTANCY EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- If consultancy consists of more than one professional, then a history of relevant experience with NGO communications is required. Also at least one lead-contractor will be required as the primary focal point for the company throughout the project. Please share CVs of all professionals.
- Requirement for Lead-contractor and / or individual professionals:
- University degree, preferably an advanced degree in either communications, journalism or public relations or in the field of international relations.
- 4-7 years of experience in communications and media relations, preferably for human rights, social justice, or humanitarian organisations, with international experience a definite plus.
- Strong media relations, both in Switzerland and at the global level.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English, with excellent command of French; good knowledge of Spanish or another language an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in working with NGOs in international affairs, human rights, humanitarian and/or international law, civil society organisations, etc.
- Excellent reviews by prior references regarding organisational skills, production quality, and on-time delivery.
- Capacity to communicate with partners across regions, languages and cultures.
Bids for Contract must include a cover letter, a proposal for bid not exceeding 3 pages, and a CV with at least two references (with name, title, phone and email) for each professional applying. Bids should be addressed to OMCT International Secretariat with the subject “OMCT Communications Consultancy”, by email to email@example.com. No phone calls please. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
There is no deadline for applications: bids will be reviewed and interviews begun as soon as competitive bids are received.