The World Organisation Against Torture Office in Brussels (OMCT Europe) is seeking to recruit a highly motivated, thorough and versatile individual, with a commitment to human rights and strong skills in financial management and administration, to fill the role of Finance and Administration Officer at the OMCT.
The position is a full-time position, based in the OMCT Europe office in Brussels, Belgium.
Part-time arrangements may be possible.
ABOUT THE OMCT
The OMCT works with around 200 member organisations which constitute its SOS-Torture Network, to end torture, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide. Together, we make up the largest global group actively standing up to torture in more than 90 countries. Helping local voices be heard, we support our vital partners in the field and provide direct assistance to victims. Our international secretariat is based in Geneva, with offices in Brussels and Tunis.
The OMCT is recruiting for this position in Brussels. The position is part of a dedicated finance and admin team across OMCT offices and will reinforce OMCT’s operations capacity in financial and administration management.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Finance Manager, based in Geneva, and in close coordination with the OMCT Europe management structure in Brussels. The primary role of this post is to strengthen OMCT’s finance management capacity in its Brussels and Geneva offices, as well as to support the OMCT Europe Office with certain administrative tasks.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
Financial Management (80%)
- Preparation of financial reports and operating budgets managed by OMCT Brussels and Geneva offices, with a focus on EU-funded projects;
- Coordinate the half-yearly financial reporting and verification of expenses of five partner organisations and the OMCT in the framework of the United Against Torture Consortium (OMCT leads the Consortium and coordinates);
- Expenditure management: In close coordination with the OMCT Europe accountant, verification and entry to the OMCT financial software of payments by bank transfer and verification of office expenditures made by other means (credit card, Western Union, etc.)
- Support to sub-grant managers and various financial assistances in the preparation and implementation of financing contracts and the control of reports and supporting documents;
- Support with the design and follow-up of the implementation of the organization's operational budgets as well as audits (projects, programs, organizational);
- Support to OMCT Europe staff in financial, administrative and compliance matters: act as a resource person for all OMCT staff questions regarding financial management, OMCT financial tools and internal controls;
- Cash flow monitoring: bank and cash flow reconciliation with input on the internal database (Filemaker) and support to the accountant in reconciliation operations;
- Regularly transmitting information to the Finance Manager regarding budgets, financial reports and financial allocations of the OMCT Brussels office.
Other responsibilities (20%)
- Support the OMCT Europe management structure with administration of human resources matters: leaves management, distribution of payslips, ensuring all necessary steps for obtaining work permits when needed;
- Support the further development and implementation of internal processes and policies with regards to financial, human resources and administrative management in the Brussels office;
- Manage the inventory of the Brussels office;
- Support the OMCT Europe’s operations team and staff in administrative and logistical matters.
- At least 3 years of experience in a similar role as finance officer or manager (ideally in an NGO or small to medium-sized company) required.
- University or professional degree in finance, economics, business, accounting or related field preferred.
- Good language skills in French and English, both written and spoken.
- High ethical standards and proven commitment to core human rights principles, the rule of law and social justice causes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain collaborative relationships with people from diverse national and cultural backgrounds, across several time zones.
- Attention to detail: good at paying attention to detail, having a thorough way of working.
- Initiative and motivation: Able to use own initiative and work independently within agreed frameworks; motivated by achieving results and completing tasks and being accountable.
- Organization and prioritization: Strong organizational, prioritization, and time-management skills, enabling efficient and effective work.
WHAT WE OFFER
OMCT is an equal opportunities employer.
The OMCT offers competitive salaries for Human Rights NGOs in Brussels with a minimum of 20 days holidays, usual social benefits including meal vouchers, and the possibility for part-time working from home.
The OMCT will also provide a thorough onboarding process, including a time spent in the office in Geneva to be able to get familiarized with OMCT tools, process, projects, etc.
Applications comprising a cover letter and a CV with at least two references should be addressed to OMCT International Secretariat with the subject “OMCT Finance & Administration Officer”, by email to email@example.com.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a written test, which, if successful, will lead to an interview with the recruitment panel.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Deadline for the applications: applications must be received by 26 November 2023.