Ethiopia: Ethiopia - Extrajudicial killing/torture/arbitrary arrests
Case ETH 031105Extrajudicial killing/torture/arbitrary arrests
The International Secretariat of OMCT requests your URGENT intervention in the following situation in Ethiopia.
Brief Description of the Situation
The International Secretariat of OMCT has been informed by the Ethiopian Human Rights Council (EHRCO), a member of the OMCT network, that a number of people have been killed, wounded and arrested following street protests on 31st October 2005 in Addis Ababa.
According to the information received, the killings took place during street protests against the election results announced regarding the May elections.
The bodies of the following three persons were found in Black Lion Hospital:
1. Mubarek Mebratu Wallelet (with red T-shirt) – age unknown
2. two others whose names are unknown
Persons Wounded:- Black Lion Hospital
1. Jamal Hailu- age unknown - wounded on this right shoulder
2. Hadra Miftah – age unknown - beaten on her mouth
3. Enamu Mekoonen 45 mother of 5 children
4. Remadan Kedir 14
1. Muluken Degaga 19 beaten on his head
2. Hunegnaw Teferi 25 beaten on his right hand
3. Feleke Takson – age unknown - beaten on his left body.
Ras Desta Hosiptal
1. Kinfemikael Kiros 27 wounded with bullet on his left chest
2. Anwar Feleke 20 wounded with bullet on his left leg.
3. Ayele Bekele – age unknown -wounded with bullet on his throat – unable to speak
4. Anteneh Enyew – 20 wounded with bullet on his back
5. Yehune Zelek 32 Wounded with bullet
6. Zelek W.Micael 27 beaten on his right hand
7. Getachew Zeberga 22 wounded with bullet on his left back
8. Mitiku Abshera 27 wounded with bullet on his testicles.
9. Dinkenesh Benti 18 wounded on her left chest
10. Abraham Lema 27 wounded on his left shoulder
11. Semen Admassu 28 wounded on his left hand and on his back
1. Worku Fekadu –25 wounded on his left leg
The number of persons killed and wounded mentioned above is only those confirmed by EHRCO on 1st November 2005 in the afternoon. It has been also reported that the number of killed and wounded could rise.
The following is the list of members of the opposition Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) party who are confirmed to have been arrested so far:
1. Engineer Hailu Showel
2. Dr. Berhanu Nega
3. Pr. Mesfin W.Mariam
4. Dr. Hailu Araya
5. Eng. Gizachew Shiferaw
6. Dr. Yakob H/Mariam
7. Ato Debebe Eshetu
8. Getachew Mengiste
9. Col. Tamiru
It has also been reported that
1. Tamirat Tarekegne and
2. Berkayehu Meteka are followed by the police.
3. Chernet Tadesse (EHRCO activist who was detained in the June incident is
4. Daniel Bekele (Director of Action Aid) who was beaten last week is
The riots continued on Wednesday morning in Merkato, Kolfe and Adissu Gebeya areas organized demonstration with confrontation against the police. It was reported that, although not yet confirmed dead, bodies have been seen lying in the streets in Kolfe area on 2nd November.
Please write a letter to the authorities in Ethiopia urging them to:
i. Immediately guarantee the physical and psychological integrity of these persons;
ii. Order the immediate release of the above-mentioned persons in the absence of valid legal charges, and if such charges exist, to ensure that they are given prompt and fair trials, in which their procedural rights are guaranteed at all times;
iii. Order a thorough and impartial investigation into the circumstances of these events, in order to identify those responsible, bring them to trial and apply the penal and/or administrative sanctions as provided by law;
iv. Ensure respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms throughout the country in accordance with national laws and international human rights standards.
- Prime Minister, His Excellency Meles Zenawi, Office of the Prime Minister, P O Box 1031, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Fax:+ 251 1 552020 / 552030 (please keep trying)
- Minister of Justice, Mr Harka Haroye, Ministry of Justice, P.O. Box 1370, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Fax+ 251 1 51 77 75 / 520874, Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ambassador Fisseha Yimer, Permanent Mission of Ethiopia to the United Nations in Geneva, 56 rue de Moillebeau, Case postale 338, 1211 Geneva 19, Switzerland, Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax: +41 22 919 70 29
Please also write to the embassies of Ethiopia in your respective country.
Geneva, November 3, 2005