OMCT E-Bulletin - 75th session of the Committee against Torture
During the 75th CAT session that took place from 11 October to 25 November 2022, the Committee reviewed the reports submitted under Article 19 of the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment by Australia, Chad, El Salvador, Malawi, Somalia, and Uganda. The Committee also adopted the List of Issues (LOI) for the upcoming reviews in April 2023 for Ethiopia and Kazakhstan, and the List Of Issues Prior to Reporting (LOIPR) for Cyprus, Latvia, Maldives and Niger.
The OMCT mobilises and coordinates civil society access to the United Nations Committee Against Torture (CAT). During this session, representatives of 50 civil society organisations engaged with the CAT members during NGO private briefings, which take place before the consideration of the State reports. At the end of each session, the CAT published its Concluding Observations for each reviewed State party report.
During this session, the Committee also adopted the final Concluding Observations on Nicaragua in the absence of any comments from the State party. During its 74th session in July 2022, the Committee had reviewed the second periodic report of Nicaragua in the absence of a State delegation and adopted the Concluding Observations provisionally.
Upcoming session: 76th session of the CAT April 17 – May 12 2022
- The Committee will consider the State Party reports of Brazil, Colombia, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Slovakia
- List of issues (LOI): Burundi and Egypt
- List of issues prior to reporting (LOIPR): Portugal
- The deadline for CSO submissions for the State report reviews at the 76th session is 20 March 2023.
- The deadline for CSO submissions for the LOI and LOIPR at the 76th session is 23 January 2023.
- Countries to be reviewed at the 77th session (July 2023): Spain, Switzerland, Romania and New Zealand.
- For the 77th session (July 2023), the deadline is 12 June 2023.
- Written submissions should be sent in Word format to the following e-mail address: email@example.com