OMCT Europe is an affiliate organisation of the World OrganisationAgainst Torture (OMCT) supporting its goals and objectives in Europe, Turkeyand Central Asia as well as before the European institutions. The OMCT workswith around 200 member organisations which constitute its SOS-Torture Network,to end torture, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide.Together, we make up the largest global group actively standing up to torture.Helping local voices be heard, we support our vital partners in the field andprovide direct assistance to victims. OMCT’s international secretariat is basedin Geneva, with offices in Brussels and Tunis.
Location: Location in the OMCTEurope offices in Brussels (Belgium) is preferred but presence in the regioncould be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Conditions: Full-time position is preferred. The position will requireinternational travel.
The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Head of OMCT Europeoffice, and in close coordination with the Directors of OMCT Convention AgainstTorture and OMCT Human Rights Defenders Programmes.Responsibilities of the position include:
· Coordinating &implementing advocacy actions on torture and human rights defenders’protections in Eurasia with a focus on the former Soviet Union and Central Asia.
· Implementation of OMCT's anti-torture work including editing and coordination of shadow and follow-up reporting tothe UN Committee against Torture and by supporting civil society organizationsin their engagement with the Committee.
· Coordinating and implementing local advocacy with SOSTorture Network members including the drafting of advocacy submissions, caseinterventions, amicus briefs, and advocacy missions, and coordinating focusedwork on policing and detention.
· Contribute to theprotection of human rights defenders in the region, in close coordination withthe SOS-Torture network.
· Conducting advocacy inareas relevant to OMCT Europe’s mandate, notably towards UN human rights system,the EU, Council of Europe and the OSCE.
· Facilitating thecollective mobilisation of the OMCT's SOS-Torture Network in the region includingon detention and litigation.
· Contributing to theeffective reporting and administration of the Programme including by draftingdonor and activity reports.
· Advanced university degree, preferably a post-graduatedegree in human rights or democratization, political science or internationallaw.
· Minimum 5 years of experience in the human rightsfield at the national and international levels, including with human rightsorganizations. Work experience on Turkey, Eastern Europe and the former SovietUnion and Central Asia is an asset.
· Excellent oral and written language skills in both Englishand Russian. Fluency in other regional languages would be an asset.
· Excellent knowledge of international human rights lawand demonstrated knowledge of the universal and/or regional mechanisms for theprotection of human rights.
· Excellent and practical experience in human rightsadvocacy, project management cycles and development.
· Excellent drafting and editing skills.
· Ability to work under pressure to deadlines and toadapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a multicultural team.
OMCT Europe is an equal opportunities employer.
Applications for this position should be sent (by email only) to OMCTEurope at email@example.com November 4, 2020. For consideration, please send a cover letter, a résumé andthe contact details of two professional references, indicating “OMCT EUROPEHUMAN RIGHTS ADVISOR” as your message subject. Only shortlisted candidates willbe contacted.
For more information about the OMCT and OMCT Europe, please visit ourwebsite: www.omct.org