The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) is seeking to recruit an INTERN for its Convention Against Torture Programme based at its International Secretariat in Geneva, Switzerland.
ABOUT THE OMCT
The World Organisation Against Torture (OMCT) is the largest global group actively standing up to torture and other ill-treatment in more than 90 countries. It works with 200 member organisations, which constitute its SOS-Torture Network, to end torture and ill-treatment, provide direct assistance to victims, fight impunity and protect human rights defenders worldwide. Its headquarters are based in Geneva, with offices in Brussels and Tunis.
Through its Convention Against Torture Programme, the OMCT strives for all States to comply with the UN Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment. To this end, OMCT leads, supports and coordinates the work of civil society with the Committee Against Torture (CAT), publishes reports, builds coalitions, carries out country missions, litigates, and conducts joint advocacy against torture with members of its network in a wide range of countries.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
The OMCT is looking for an intern, full or part time, for a duration of 3-6 months starting in October 2020, to assist its Convention against Torture programme team in Geneva.
Under the guidance of experienced staff at OMCT, the intern will implement a variety of diverse tasks on projects of the Convention Against Torture Programme, providing a unique and challenging opportunity of learning about concrete human rights advocacy to combat torture. The intern will have opportunities to interact with the OMCT SOS-Torture Network, with human rights defenders and other NGO professionals. Interns are fully included in staff meetings, which provide a comprehensive understanding of the work of an international human rights NGO.
Responsibilities of the position include:
· Research work on torture related topics and country situations;
· Research work on groups at specific risks of torture including migrants, women and indigenous peoples;
· Assist with the preparation of various (online) meetings, discussions and webinars;
· Assist with litigation of torture cases.
· Currently enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s Programme in law, international relations, political or social sciences or related field.
· Good knowledge and understanding of international human rights law, human rights NGOs, UN procedures, EU institutions and regional mechanisms for the protection of human rights.
· Demonstrated commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
· Excellent drafting and editing skills.
· Ability to work under pressure to deadlines and to adapt to multidisciplinary work in the environment of a multicultural team.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; working knowledge in French or Spanish would be an asset.
OMCT provides its interns with a monthly stipend of 500 CHF per month.
Schedule can be flexible and would be agreed between the supervisor and the intern.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday 13 OCTOBER 2020. The subject line should mention Convention Against Torture Programme Intern.