World OrganisationAgainst Torture (OMCT)
VacancyAnnouncement: Human Rights Advisor forOMCT’s Asia Desk
(twelve monthsmaternity leave replacement)
The World Organisation AgainstTorture (OMCT), the largest international coalition of nongovernmentalorganisations fighting against torture, summary executions, forceddisappearances and all other forms of cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment,is currently seeking to recruit a Human Rights Advisor for its Asia desk.The Human Rights Adviser will work under the direct supervision of theConvention against Torture Program Director.
Location: International Secretariat of theOMCT, Geneva, Switzerland.
Dates and duration: 1 April 2020 (or earlier) to 1 April2021
- Implement OMCT’s Convention against TortureProgram in relation to Asia, including shadow and follow-up reporting tothe Committee against Torture.
- Design, plan, organize and carry out fact findingand advocacy missions, roundtables, capacity building activities, incoordination with OMCT’s network members and local partners in Asia.
- Support the Program Director of OMCT’s Conventionagainst Torture Program in organizing, coordinating, and moderating NGObriefings before the Committee against Torture.
- Support partner civil society organizations fromAsia in their engagement with the Committee against Torture, as well as intheir engagement with other UN bodies such as the Human Rights Committee,the Human Rights Council, the Universal Periodic Review, and the Mandatesof Special Rapporteurs.
- Represent the OMCT at national and internationalforums including the Committee against Torture and the Human RightsCouncil as well as at meetings and events by partners.
- Monitor and analyze legal and politicaldevelopments, in particular law reform initiatives, relevant to the fightagainst torture in Asia, actively maintain relations with SOS Torture Networkmembers in Asia and provide assistance with regards to case and thematic advocacy andlegal support in areas relevant to OMCT’s mandate (e.g. through press releases,letters to authorities, briefing papers).
- Assistmembers of the Asia Anti-Torture Litigators’ Group (regional initiative) indeveloping domestic and international litigation strategies, plan andcoordinate webinars and meetings in the framework of the mentioned group.
- Organizea meeting of the Working Group on “Women and Torture” (regional initiative inAsia) and coordinate resulting research and drafting of a regional thematicreport.
- Draftdonor and activity reports and be responsible for the execution of project activitiesand budgets.
- Universitydegree in human rights, international relations, political science, or relatedfield;
- A minimumof three years relevant work experience in an international environment,preferably with civil society organisations. Work experience in Asia will be anasset;
- Demonstratedknowledge of the UN procedures and regional mechanisms for the protection ofhuman rights;
- Excellentdrafting and editing skills, ideally of shadow reports for treaty monitoringbodies and advocacy reports;
- Abilityto work under pressure to tight deadlines and to adapt to multidisciplinarywork in the environment of a multicultural team;
- Goodinterpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellentoral and written English.
This is a full time (100%) position andwill require some international travel.
Applications for this positionshould be sent (by email only) to the International Secretariat of the OMCTat email@example.com by 10 February 2020. For consideration, please send a cover letter,a résumé and the contact details of two professional references, indicating “HUMANRIGHTS ADVISOR” as your message subject. Only shortlisted candidates will becontacted.
OMCT isan equal opportunities employer.
For moreinformation about the OMCT, please visit our website: www.omct.org